Thursday, January 12, 2012

Global Food Disparity

I was inspired by this 2008 Daily Kos posting, which discussed Peter Menzel's photography project to document global food disparities. Peter Menzel visually highlighted the inequities in food access across the world - and for me, it really hit home how heavily the average American meal relies on unhealthy, over-priced, packaged, and processed foods.  We pay so much for our unhealthy diet.  It's a stark contrast to the food consumed by families in other countries, particularly resource-poor ones.


So I am going to try an experiment this week - attempting to cook more healthy meals from scratch, while trying to not let the cooking overtake the little free time that I have.  I bought 81 USD of groceries from Super H Mart (a korean supermarket chain in Atlanta), and will use the food from this photo and the old food that's been lingering in my fridge to cook as many meals as I can.






















The list of foods from my trip and from what is already in my fridge:
- Proteins: Rib eye steak, chicken thighs, quail eggs, chicken eggs, tofu, frozen fish
- Fruits:  apples, oranges, pomelo
- Vegetables:  kale, yuchoy, bokchoy, watercress, napa cabbage, cilantro, scallions, eggplant, spaghetti squash, leeks
- Other:  ginger, shallots, dry black beans, dry chickpeas, sake, parmagianno reggiano
- Carbs: rice, fresh udon noodles, fresh buckwheat noodles, dried somen noodles, dried soba noodles
- Processed food:  korean seaweed, bacon

No comments:

Post a Comment